The most peaceful period of pregnancy has come – the second trimester. Now there is the 14 week pregnancy, the unpleasant symptoms of toxicosis have already receded, the psycho-emotional background has leveled off, weakness and drowsiness have decreased, and the expectant mother began to feel much better.
Although outwardly, the body has not changed much, grandiose events are taking place inside the uterus:
- The development of the fetus does not stop for a minute.
- The baby grows and gains weight.
- Its organs and tissues are actively developing.
Now the placenta has taken over the protection of the fetus. It grows and improves along with the baby.
14 weeks pregnancy
According to the obstetric calendar, the second trimester of pregnancy begins in the 14th week. This trimester lasts from 12 to 28 weeks, with the gestational age being calculated from the last menstrual period. This means that conception would have occurred 11-12 weeks prior, depending on the length of the cycle and the time of ovulation.
The 14th week of pregnancy is the fourth obstetric (or lunar month), since they are exactly 28 days. If you focus on the calendar period, this is the end of the 3rd month of pregnancy, the last week. You are a third of the way there, six months before delivery. The second trimester is a time when it is important for the expectant mother to take care of herself and enjoy her new position.
14 weeks pregnant: what happens in a woman’s body
At a period of 14-15 weeks of pregnancy, the interesting position of the expectant mother may become noticeable to others, especially if the woman was thin before pregnancy. This is because at the 14th week of pregnancy, the stomach begins to grow. While this is a very small bulge below the navel, which is barely noticeable.
Many may think that the woman just got a little better. Suppose relatives or work colleagues do not yet know about a new interesting situation. In that case, a gradually increasing belly at the 14th week of pregnancy will be one reason to announce a baby’s imminent birth. You can arrange a holiday, especially since well-being allows you to do this.
It is useful to take a growing belly photo while keeping a pregnancy album. This will be a pleasant memory after the birth of the crumbs in the future. In addition, album decoration, funny photos or videos are a way to relieve stress and calm nerves, which is extremely important for a future mother.
The pregnant woman is steadily gaining weight due to the enlargement of the uterus and the growth of the fetus, as well as physical changes in the body. Generally, the extra weight will amount to around 2-3 kg from the original weight.
If the expectant mother lost some weight during the first three months of her pregnancy (due to feeling sick and nausea, and reduced appetite), she would regain her original weight by the 14th week. In general, the increase is due to the increasing volume of blood and lymph fluid circulating through the vessels and the accumulation of subcutaneous fat.
Although at the 14th week of pregnancy the waist will slightly flatten out, but in general there will be no specific sensations in the abdomen associated with the growth and development of the fetus. Almost every mom will listen carefully to herself to catch the crumbs’ first movements, but so far the baby is still too small and weak to form tangible shocks. The movements will be felt a little later if this is the first child. Those mothers who are expecting a second and subsequent children can catch subtle movements.
Women’s health: what you need to know?
It is important to monitor your sensations in the stomach. Sometimes women have a little stomach ache, even more likely to pull on the sides. Perhaps this is a stretching of the round uterine ligaments, which adjust to the growth of the organ. But if a woman has a severe stomach ache, it is better to consult a doctor immediately.
The constant increase in the size of the uterus will gradually change the center of gravity of the female body, and this will be reflected in the gait. As the belly grows, expectant mothers acquire a kind of “duck” gait, by which one can almost unmistakably recognize a woman in the position.
Although the baby bump is not yet very large, the influence of hormones on the ligaments and the overall changes in the body can make it difficult to maintain balance when walking. For this reason, it is wise to wear comfortable flats or shoes with a low or no heel and a non-slip sole. This will help to prevent falls and other injuries during the pregnant woman’s regular walks, which are important for her health.
At 14 weeks of pregnancy, a woman’s health is usually good. By this time, most of the unpleasant symptoms of morning sickness, such as severe drowsiness, nausea and changes in appetite, usually have gone away. Moreover, her mood has become more balanced and her emotional outbursts have become less frequent. This second trimester is a time for joyful anticipation and preparation for the arrival of the baby.
But the gradual growth of the tummy at the 14th week of pregnancy can provoke discomfort from the digestive system – these are periodic heartburn, and constipation. A woman’s appetite gradually increases, so it is important to monitor the volume of servings and calories so as not to overeat and not gain excess weight.
Even though the placenta is now actively protecting the baby, he is still vulnerable to colds and worsening chronic conditions. As such, it is important to stay vigilant about one’s health and steer clear of people who are ill. Moreover, no medications or vitamins should be taken without a doctor’s consent. Herbal supplements should also only be taken under the guidance of a specialist.
Fetal development at 14 weeks pregnancy
A child at 14 weeks of gestation already has all the vital organs and leading systems. They are not fully functional, as they will develop over two weeks. However, the unborn child actively trains and tests them, preparing for a long postpartum adaptation process.
- The growth of the baby increases to 10-15 cm. This indicator is variable and largely depends on the physique of the parents. Do not worry if growth is at the lower limit. Very soon, the baby will begin to rapidly add the missing centimeters.
- The weight of the fetus reaches 45-55 grams. Now it looks like a large apple. The baby daily adds muscle mass, gains subcutaneous fat, and his movements become more confident and strong.
- External primary sexual characteristics have finally formed. Girls already have ovaries, while boys develop and begin to grow a prostate gland.
- The bones continue to grow. If earlier they resembled fragile cartilage, their structure becomes dense every day. To do this, the child takes a large amount of calcium, phosphorus and vitamin D from the mother’s body every day.
- A facial expression appears on the face of the crumbs. It is still difficult to see during a 3D ultrasound scan. However, every minute the baby frowns, smiles, turns his head, and smacks his lips.
- The skin of the embryo continues to be thin and transparent. You can see many vessels that feed the organs and soft tissues through it. Fluff and lubrication appear on the surface of the skin. They perform a protective function that will last until the very birth.
- Respiratory training begins. The baby swallows amniotic fluid and releases it back. This way, he experiences the lungs, which will transform and mature until the middle of the third trimester.
- At 14 weeks, a special period begins – the second trimester. For a child, it is associated with serious changes and transformations in the body.
Twin development 14 weeks pregnancy
With multiple pregnancies, the growth and weight gain rate for future babies are lower than with a singleton. Despite this, future children are also actively developing and corresponding in physical terms to their peers.
The size of each baby for 14 weeks is about 10 cm, and their total body weight is approaching 70 grams. During pregnancy with twins, the height of the bottom of the uterus increases faster, so during this period, expectant mothers may notice a clear increase in volume in the lower abdomen.
Babies in different fetal sacs cannot have close contact with each other. As a rule, these are children of different sexes, in whom primary sexual characteristics are also already visible. If babies are located in one fetal bladder, they have tactile contact. Most often, they are same-sex children. This indicator can be found if an ultrasound is done at 14 weeks.
Medical examination at 14 weeks pregnancy
This week, a scheduled visit to an obstetrician-gynecologist and blood and urine tests are required. In addition, the doctor may prescribe an ultrasound, which will help evaluate the baby’s development. In this period, it is still difficult to determine the sex, only experienced ultrasound doctors using modern devices can do this.
- Measurement of blood pressure – allows you to track the work of blood vessels and the heart, eliminates or detects deviations;
- listening to the baby’s heartbeat with a special device – starts at 14 weeks and is performed at each visit to the gynecologist;
- Colposcopy – the diagnosis of hidden pathologies of the cervix is appointed at the beginning of the second trimester;
- Early amniocentesis – the study of amniotic fluid with unsatisfactory results of the first screening.
The doctor mainly evaluates the baby’s growth from the top of the head to the base of the spine, along with the progress of the major body components and organs. Ultrasound scans are used to detect potential developmental abnormalities, but the results are not enough to make a definite diagnosis, so further blood tests may be needed.
Checklist for 14 weeks pregnancy
- Pay attention, not to changes in your body. With increased volumes, it’s time to change your wardrobe and buy new underwear.
- Contact your gynecologist to find out about the results of the screening.
- Pass the recommended tests to rule out pathologies. If problems are found, work with your doctor to correct them.
- Make time for your spouse. After the birth of the child, this will be problematic.
- Make an additional ultrasound scan if you can’t wait to find out the sex of the unborn child. You should choose clinics with new high-precision equipment.
- Pay attention to your bed. You may need a pregnancy pillow soon, so it’s best to choose it now.
- Choose new hygiene and care products for yourself. It is better to give preference to brands made specifically for expectant mothers.
Useful advice for a future mother
At 14 weeks, it is very important to change your diet if this has not been done before. Not only the saturation of the body with nutrients depends on the quality and type of food consumed. Eating healthy helps keep skin supple, strengthens hair and nails, and reduces the risk of gaining excess body weight. Toxicosis has ceased to bother, but this is not a reason to lean on harm. You should adhere to a balanced, healthy and varied diet throughout the entire period.
Useful advice for a future father
At week 14, the emotional state of the expectant mother stabilizes. Appetite returns to her, and toxicosis disappears. Now the calmest time begins, when the stomach still does not cause inconvenience, and the feelings have already subsided. The future father needs to continue to help his wife because the family’s emotional situation and the woman’s mood depend on it.
Useful Tips for 14 weeks pregnancy
- Given that the uterus is expanding and the tummy is enlarging, it is advisable to go through your wardrobe and pick out more comfortable and airy garments.
- It is important to have good nutrition, rich in fresh natural products, stay in the fresh air and do simple physical exercises.
- It is worth avoiding contact with sick people and travel in public transport during peak hours to reduce the risk of colds and infections.
- In addition to nutrition, you need to take supplements for pregnant women, which a doctor will prescribe.