You are 4 months pregnant and the development of the fetus continues, and there are still five months left before the birth of your baby. During 15 weeks pregnant, Ultrasound images show all parts of your baby’s body and internal organs.
What happens to you at 15 weeks pregnant?
I am glad the symptoms that bothered you earlier disappeared without a trace. You are not sick, tormented by drowsiness, and not irritated by dishes and smells, as it was in the first trimester of pregnancy.
What happens to mom during 15 weeks pregnant?
The fifteenth week of pregnancy makes itself felt not only for the mother but also for others. At this time, significant changes have already occurred with the baby, he is gaining weight, and the mother’s belly is noticeably rounded, protruding forward.
Uterine changes: The uterus grows in size and takes up more and more space in the abdominal cavity. Fundal height is one of the key indicators for monitoring fetal growth. This week, the indicator is 12-13 cm. A woman can feel the organ on her own if she puts her fingers approximately in the middle of the distance between the womb and the navel. Ultrasound examination shows that the organ has homogeneous myometrium, and the thickness of the uterus is normal by the 15th week of pregnancy at 2.5 cm.
Urination: From this point on, the pressure of the uterus on the bladder noticeably decreases, so the urge to urinate becomes less frequent. The woman does not experience frequent urination. Instead, the uterus presses on the intestines, so there is a risk of constipation.
Headache: Hormonal changes and physiological transformations in the mother’s body often provoke a headache during this week of pregnancy. Women describe it differently: the head hurts and squeezes like a hoop, pulsating sensations at one point, noise and a feeling of emptiness in the head, accompanied by severe dizziness.
Such symptoms often appear due to external factors – it is necessary to avoid stress, overstrain, contact with many people, and prolonged mental stress. Usually, the headache is stopped by Paracetamol. In case of chronic pain accompanied by visual impairment, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Pain in the lower back: Pain in the lower back and tailbone area at the 15th week may indicate both the norm and the pathology. A common cause of pathological pain is pyelonephritis, an inflammatory process developing in the kidneys. Symptoms are manifested by sharp pains in the lower back, increased body temperature, and pain during urination. In this case, a doctor’s consultation is necessary, sometimes hospitalization.
Physiological pain in the lumbar region at the 15th week of pregnancy is associated with the pressure of the growing uterus on the nerve endings and the internal organs’ displacement. This does not bring any risk for the fetus, but the mother should be careful – sit less in one position, choose hard surfaces for relaxation, and take walks. In some cases, the doctor will recommend wearing a bandage to relieve tension from the back muscles.
Breast changes: All the body’s work is rebuilt to the baby’s needs, so the mammary glands are no exception. The breast at the 15th week becomes more sensitive, the areolas of the nipples darken, and the mammary glands swell. Some women are faced with the release of colostrum – this is quite normal as the body prepares for feeding the baby. Hypersensitivity in some women gives a tingling sensation in the chest and a feeling of fullness and heaviness.
Skin pigmentation: An increase in the amount of melanin in the skin at the 15th week of pregnancy contributes to the formation of pigmentation. This occurs under the influence of hormonal changes in the mother’s body. Spots on the body appear in different places. The most “popular” place is the line from the navel to the pubis, where you can see the pigment strip.
Some women have spots in the lumbar region and on the face, neck, and décolleté. It is pigmentation in open areas that causes discomfort the most. You should not focus on the spots and hide them too hard – pigmentation disappears after the baby’s birth. For severe stains, safe cosmetics will help.
Puffiness: The appearance of edema is possible earlier and on the 15th week. At this time, the load on the urinary system increases, so the work of the kidneys may be disrupted, resulting in edema. Dietary habits can also provoke fluid retention – overeating salty, spicy foods.
Vaginal discharge: Allocations at the 15th week can differ depending on the level of estrogen in the blood. With an increase in the content of this hormone, the discharge becomes liquid and plentiful, transparent in color. You should be fine with the selection having other characteristics. In some cases, discharge indicates a disease such as candidiasis, which often affects pregnant women. For candidiasis discharge:
- Have an unpleasant sour smell.
- Maybe cheesy in texture, bubbling, with obvious white pieces on linen and genitals.
- Painted greenish-dirty yellow.
- Accompanied by itching and burning pain when urinating.
Having found such signs, women should consult a doctor and take tests. After the diagnosis is made, treatment is prescribed.
The vaginal discharge may be bloody. Sometimes blood can be seen in a small amount after sexual contact – in this case. Doctors recommend taking a break and observing the sensations. Bleeding of a profuse nature that does not stop is a reason to go to the clinic.
The cause of bleeding can be placental abruption and the threat of miscarriage, so you must take all measures to save the pregnancy. Do not get upset ahead of time – the cause of minor vaginal discharge with streaks of blood is trauma, erosion, and bursting blood vessels, which is not dangerous for the child.
Small bleeding: Bleeding at the 15th week of pregnancy can be not only from the vagina. Due to the increase in blood volume, nosebleeds are possible even with minor pressure surges. Weak vessels also affect bleeding from the gums.
Changes in food and smell preferences: Usually, there are no significant changes in food preferences and smell. Previously formed taste preferences dominate, but women may still want fruits, and meat, depending on nutritional deficiencies. Therefore, doctors advise diversifying the diet.
Weight set: Weight gain during pregnancy is inevitable; by the 15th week, a pregnant woman will gain an additional 2.5 to 3 kg from the pre-pregnancy indicator. This is normal since the weight is formed due to the enlarged uterus and amniotic fluid. The weight of the fetus by the 15th week is small – only 50-75 g. The average weight gain is 400 g per week.
In addition, choose the type of physical activity that you like and is convenient or possible in specific life circumstances. And of course, avoid eating foods that provoke heartburn – fatty, fried, finished, spicy pickled dishes.
Growth and development of the fetus at the 15th week of pregnancy
At the fifteenth week of pregnancy, the size of the fetus grows to about 10 cm in length and 70 grams in weight, which is about the size of an average pear. Additionally, the baby’s facial skull, eyes, and ears are still forming.
There may be changes in your appearance. Your stomach at the 15th week of pregnancy has increased slightly. Still, you have new sensations in your stomach that differ from the usual intestinal motility. These new sensations give rhythmic, regular movements of the fetus, although they are not too strong because the mass of the limbs (arms and legs) is small and reaches only 2.5-3 grams.
At 15 weeks pregnant, it is possible to observe fetal movements on an ultrasound. These movements are reflexive yet involuntary and can be distinguished easily during the scan.
At the clinic visit, the obstetrician-gynecologist or nurse will check the baby’s size and monitor its development in the womb by measuring the height of the uterus above the pubic joint. This measurement is an indicator of the baby’s growth.
Many pregnant women at this time are curious about the where is the baby, and the answer is that its position shifts around 15-16 weeks and it is actively moving in the uterus.
15 weeks pregnant and examinations
It is beneficial to be aware that the most suitable time for an intrusive diagnosis like amniocentesis to identify several genetic ailments in the fetus is between 16 and 20 weeks of pregnancy. In collaboration with a geneticist, your doctor will decide the exact conditions that necessitate such a diagnosis.
Useful tips and recommendations according to the gestational age
I propose to discuss in more detail nutrition for a period of 15 weeks pregnant.
It is important to understand that the baby and mother are a single whole. At 15 weeks pregnancy, the formation of organs and systems, the growth and development of the fetus continue very actively, so you should be careful about taking many vitamins and microelements.
In addition, during pregnancy, the caloric content of food increases, and the need for several vitamins, such as folic acid, adequate intake of which has been shown to reduce the risk of developing neural tube defects in your baby.
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that pregnant women have a daily intake of 400mcg of folic acid, 250mcg of iodine, and 1500-2000mg of calcium. Evidence has shown that having the right amount of these nutrients benefits the baby’s growth.
It’s important to plan ahead when it comes to your diet. Try to prepare your meals the day before and take it with you when you go to work. This can help you avoid unhealthy snacks and pre-prepared food from stores.
When overweight, WHO experts recommend monitoring the nature of nutrition especially carefully in the period from 15 to 24 weeks. Therefore, always keep on hand products for healthy snacks, such as yogurt, nuts, cheese, dried fruits, and not the usual sweets, chocolate, coffee and cookies. Take into account the basic rule – breakfast is required.
Suppose you engage in physical activity, such as sports and regular workouts. In that case, it is important to make it a point to have a nutritious snack approximately 30 minutes prior to your training session. Examples of such snacks could include smoothies made with cereals and yogurt drinks, which will provide the necessary fiber, fruit juice, and protein to help maintain stable blood sugar levels.
15 weeks pregnant and sports
Physical activity during pregnancy has beneficial effects helping you maintain a healthy weight, regulate your blood sugar levels, and reduce insulin resistance. This also benefits your baby by increasing its blood oxygen saturation and aiding in birthing. For this reason, the World Health Organization highly recommends exercising while pregnant.
It is important to engage in physical activity during this period, supervised by certified trainers who specialize in working with pregnant women, instructors, and physical therapy doctors who have received special professional training and possess a high degree of knowledge and experience in dealing with pregnant women, whether that be in the gym or in the pool.
In general, the impact of physical exercises on the health of a pregnant woman and a baby is multifaceted, and the methods of health-saving technologies continue to be improved and studied.
Twin development in 15 weeks pregnant
At 15 weeks, twins and twins are slightly smaller than other babies, and multi-baby moms’ belly looks no bigger than other women at this stage of pregnancy.
So twin babies reach 10 cm in length and weigh 60 g.
Since the crumbs themselves are not too big yet, and there is still enough space in the mother’s stomach, like their single peers, the twins also move and try to move actively. Although, the expectant mother will feel these movements later.
Now the most important thing is that the kids at this time begin to reach out to each other, get to know each other and communicate.
But for mothers of twins, starting from the 15th week, doctors recommend reducing physical activity to avoid the threat of miscarriage and reduce periods of being on their feet.
Do’s and Don’ts of 15 weeks pregnant.
The 15th week of pregnancy has its recommendations, and a woman should know what can and cannot be done at this time so as not to harm the baby’s health.
What to do when 15 weeks pregnant
- Physical activity – swimming and fitness for pregnant women will be useful, helping to keep the body healthy, but without putting the baby at risk.
- Preventive examination of the dentist – it is recommended to consult a dentist to avoid rapidly developing caries and prevent gum bleeding.
- Entertainment – many pregnant women arrange paired photo shoots to fill the family with positive emotions – you should not refuse pleasant emotions at such moments.
- Beauty – procedures are allowed without the use of chemically harmful substances, and it is important to use anti-stretch marks
- Vitamins – due to the growth of the fetus, the mother needs to provide the body with vitamins and other useful substances, namely calcium, to build the skeletal system of the fetus.
- Clothes and style – Make a responsible choice of clothes. It would be wise to purchase special clothes for pregnant women.
- Sexual life – is not prohibited, but you should not resort to rough sex. You should also avoid pressure on the abdomen.
- Work – daily activity and work are allowed if there are no difficult working conditions associated with heavy lifting or contact with harmful substances.
- Rest – it is recommended to sleep at least 8 hours and take walks before bed to better relax the body.
What NOT to do when 15 weeks pregnant
- Clothes – do not wear tight-fitting underwear, belts and tight trousers so as not to impede blood circulation in the pelvis and provide normal conditions for the growth of the fetus. Also, give up high-heeled shoes.
- Working with weights, lifting large objects, and power sports is prohibited.
- it is better to refuse hair coloring, replacing the “chemistry” with natural dyes – henna
- You can not stand on your feet for a long time to avoid the development of varicose veins.
- Pills and dietary supplements – only on a doctor’s recommendation since not all drugs are allowed during pregnancy.
- do not sit for a long time in one position, and do not cross your legs – this provokes painful cramps in the calves
- alcohol and smoking are strictly prohibited – toxic substances harm not only the woman but also the fetus directly
- You can’t stay in a room with dry air for a long time, especially if you have a hormonal runny nose, so put a humidifier in the rooms.
Proper nutrition for 15 weeks pregnant
Proper nutrition should include mainly fiber, as the risk of constipation increases. It is also important to provide the child with all the necessary substances, so the diet should be varied.
At the 15th week of pregnancy, it is recommended:
- give preference to the use of a variety of foods, and make meals fractional and frequent, so as not to provoke delays in the digestive process
- Include cereals, dairy products, and eggs in the basis of the diet – these products are very nutritious, they will not allow you to gain weight. Still, they will not leave you hungry, and due to the calcium content in dairy products, the child will receive the necessary elements to build the skeleton.
- Be sure to add lean meats to the diet, as well as fish – proteins (the norm is 75 g per day) are the main building material for the body, provide energy, regulate metabolism, and also affect the weight of the child (with a lack of protein, small babies are born)
- Eat vegetables and fruits daily – they will not only become a source of vitamins for the child but also improve digestion due to the high fiber content.
- Exclude fried, smoked and salty foods since such foods contain harmful substances and provoke heartburn.
- Depending on the weight gain, monitor the consumption of flour and sweets. Usually, at the 15th week, the weight increases markedly, but you should not attribute everything to pregnancy. With excess weight, exclude sweet flour products, leading to weight gain.
Checklist for 15 weeks pregnant
- Visit a doctor according to the schedule of scheduled examinations for a risk group. It is necessary to donate blood for hemoglobin.
- Undergo an ultrasound examination, on which it is already possible to determine the sex of the unborn child
- Control stools to avoid constipation, and add fiber if you have a problem with bowel movements.
- Protect yourself from stress and anxiety, and do not overload the nervous system
- every evening walk before going to bed in the fresh air for at least 20 minutes
- Communicate with the baby, as he can already hear sounds, and turn on pleasant, relaxing music
- If possible, go to the pool or yoga for pregnant women, do not exclude light physical activity.
- Walk in the sun so that vitamin D3 is naturally produced in the body.
- Put your hand on your stomach – some can already feel the fetus’s movements.
- Change clothes to more comfortable ones, conduct an “audit” in the closet and purchase the necessary things;
- Pay attention to hair and nail care, as there is a redistribution of calcium in favor of the fetus.
- Eat more foods containing calcium, magnesium, and iron, because these elements are the most important for the fetus.
- Weigh yourself to monitor your weight gain, and do not exceed an average gain of 400 g per week.
Useful advice for a future mother 15 weeks pregnant
If there is redness, swelling or itching in the area of age spots, you need to consult a dermatologist: these may be symptoms of allergies or dermatitis.
When age spots appear, you should not use bleaching creams and lotions because many of them are not approved for use during pregnancy. After childbirth, the spots will disappear without a trace.
Useful advice for a future father
Your support may mean more than you (or even her!) realize. A 2016 study of 2,641 pregnant women found that those who received little support from their partners were about 80% more likely to experience pregnancy-related anxiety. They were also three times more likely to be depressed in mid-pregnancy than those who felt high levels of support from their spouses.
The researchers note that support was provided in many aspects, for example:
- In the ability to rely on a man financially.
- In affection.
- In the understanding that the spouse will help/be useful when the child appears.
Ask your wife what you can do right now. And remember: doing the best you can is all that is required of a future father.