The second week of pregnancy is a special time. There is no embryo in the woman’s body yet. Obstetricians calculate the gestational period not from conception but from the last menstruation (moreover, the period is counted from the onset of bleeding), making it difficult to determine. Therefore in the 2nd week of pregnancy, it is time to prepare the female body for ovulation. Depending on the cycle duration of 26 to 34 days, ovulation will occur at the end or the beginning of the following week.
Signs, Changes and Risks in 2nd week of pregnancy
|External signs||A pregnant woman appears to be the same as usual 2nd weeks after conception. At this stage, the embryo in her uterus is only barely visible on an ultrasound scan, so her stomach has not yet grown. A few tell-tale signs can be used to detect pregnancy, such as an increase in breast size, nipple engorgement, and darkening of the nipples.|
|Internal changes||From the outset, processes that cannot be seen with the eye take place in a pregnant mother’s body. Consequently, if it is difficult to tell from the outside that a woman is pregnant, she may notice certain signs: changes in mood, nausea, abdominal discomfort, and increased sensitivity of the breasts.|
|Risks||An ectopic pregnancy occurs when an egg attaches outside the uterine cavity, such as in the tubes or ovary. This phenomenon carries a serious risk, as terminating an ectopic pregnancy is often accompanied by bleeding into the abdominal cavity, which can lead to hemorrhagic shock. Therefore, it is important to consult a doctor immediately if any uncharacteristic symptoms appear.|
How to determine the duration of pregnancy at 2nd week
If it is pointless to test for pregnancy at one week after conception, as it will not show a positive result, then at two weeks it is possible to get evidence with a sensitive pharmacy test or a blood test for hCG.
You can determine pregnancy as early as two weeks with a test strip, which can be purchased at pharmacies. We place the strip in the morning urine sample and get two strips. Highly sensitive tests can give a positive result as early as the 10th day after conception, says obstetrician-gynecologist Dina Absalyamova. When taking the human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) test, there will be a significant increase in the hormone level, allowing us to conclude that the woman is pregnant.
Ultrasound at 2 weeks pregnant
At the 2nd week of pregnancy, an ultrasound can be done, although this examination may not provide much detail for those women whose pregnancy is proceeding without any complications. The ultrasound at the 2nd week of pregnancy may, at most, reveal a small dot on the surface of the uterus’ endometrium – the embryo.
Indications for an ultrasound examination in the early stages are usually alarming signals, for example:
- pain in the lower abdomen
- severe toxicosis
- any other signs
These symptoms may indicate an ectopic pregnancy, a potentially dangerous condition.
2nd week of pregnancy: What changes in the female body?
In the second week, many do not feel any changes. Women continue to adhere to their usual way of life and are not yet aware of their new position. More attentive representatives of the weaker sex and those who are actively planning a pregnancy speak of obvious changes in the body.
Uterus behavior: Embryo implantation has already taken place in the reproductive organ cavity. However, the size of the uterus does not begin to increase instantly and this does not happen rapidly. In the second week of pregnancy, it takes the form of a ball, but remains within the same size.
Milk glands: Even after ovulation, progesterone begins to be actively produced. With conception, his performance increases. This hormone stimulates breast engorgement. Women note that the breasts have become larger and rounder, and the nipples have become more sensitive.
Intestinal work: The hormone progesterone, the production of which increases after the implantation of the embryo, relaxes the muscles. The intestine is no exception. Under the action of progesterone, it slows down peristalsis, as a result of which a woman notes stool retention – constipation.
Behavior of the digestive tract: In the second week of pregnancy, women complain of nausea, occasional episodes of morning vomiting, aversion to certain foods, and a change in food cravings.
General well-being: From about the second week of embryo development, women begin to feel increased drowsiness and fatigue. They always want to lie down and be in silence. Expectant mothers go to bed early, and they can’t wake up in the morning. The reason for this body behavior is the identical progesterone in combination with chorionic gonadotropin.
Emotional background: In the second week, expectant mothers become more emotional. Their mood often changes, and bitter tears can end in bursting laughter. The reason for these changes is a new hormonal background. The emotions of a pregnant woman in the early stages are almost impossible to control and contain.
Signs of 2nd week of pregnancy
When the pregnant mother approaches the second week, it is important to monitor the state of health during the ovulatory period and the time of the possible conception of your crumbs.
During the 2nd week of pregnancy, the possible signs of ovulation and subjective feelings can tell you when is the best time to have sex to give the baby life. The likelihood that ovulation has already occurred or is close is high if a woman notices the following signs.
Discharge during ovulation
At ovulation, the egg leaves the follicle, which is accompanied by an increase in hormones. Thin girls who do not have much subcutaneous fat may be able to feel ovulation, as the follicle is quite large, typically 2 cm in diameter. When it breaks, a small amount of fluid is released, which can irritate the intestines and even cause diarrhea.
Some women may also feel minor pain sensations within a 30-60 minute period. During this time, the uterus also prepares for a potential pregnancy, mainly by expanding the cervical canal, allowing sperm to penetrate, and making the mucus less viscous. Many women may also notice mild, colorless discharge without an unpleasant odor. This is perfectly normal and does not indicate any underlying issues.
During the second week of pregnancy, there may be some minor spotting, which usually means that the embryo has successfully implanted in the uterus. However, if a woman notices a cheesy, white discharge, this could indicate the development of an infection, such as thrush (candidiasis).
In the beginning of the journey to becoming a mother, a woman may experience some abdominal pain. This moderate discomfort should not be alarming, as the body is going through a major transformation.
In certain circumstances, pain in the lower abdomen can be triggered due to sexual activity, while in others, it may occur after a gynecological exam. In some cases, the pain in the lower abdomen is not related to your posture; it could be a symptom of dysbacteriosis or other intestinal issues. Additionally, pain from the spine may “radiate” into the lower abdomen, such as in the case of osteochondrosis.
But sometimes abdominal pain can indicate serious problems, such as:
- Cervical erosion.
- Frozen pregnancy.
- Ectopic pregnancy.
In these cases, a woman may need to go to a hospital or clinic, as hospitalization could be necessary.
Belly changes in the 2nd week of pregnancy
If conception occurs during this period, its first symptoms may not be felt immediately. A woman cannot know if she has become pregnant until a sufficient level of a specific “pregnant” hormone has accumulated in her blood and urine. It is called hCG and it is determined by tests (and also determined by a blood test).
A sufficient amount of hCG detected during a test at home, in the morning portion of urine, rises by about the fourth or fifth week. This period is about 2-3 weeks of pregnancy from conception. During this period, there are usually delays in the next menstruation, and the concentration of hormones is sufficient to manifest the first symptoms of pregnancy.
Although some expectant mothers may notice changes in the body immediately after the delay, the stomach will not increase in the second week of pregnancy since there is no fetus yet, and the growth of the uterus, respectively.
Change in the type and consistency of cervical mucus
It becomes like egg white. As the day of ovulation approaches, the cervical mucus will become clear, thinner, sticky and viscous, like egg white. Due to this consistency, it is facilitated by the movement of male germ cells into the uterus and tubes in order to reach the egg. During this period, intimacy should be frequent.
Increased sense of smell
Although it may seem surprising, but this is physiology! The hormonal shifts taking place in the body increase the ability of the female nose to capture various odors. This ancient mechanism makes a woman subconsciously respond to a man’s pheromones, increasing sexual desire. This is necessary to give life to the child.
Soreness or tightness, swelling of the breast
Hormonal surges, characteristic of the ovulatory period, can cause mild soreness or slight swelling of the mammary glands.
Discomfort, mild pelvic pain
During the second week of pregnancy, one of the ovaries releases an egg from the follicle. The expectant mother may feel pressure, slight soreness and pulling pains in one side of the lower abdomen. This phenomenon, when the stomach pulls is called Mittelschmerz (Mittelshmerz) or ovulation pain after the doctor who first documented it.
Light smearing spots
In the same period, small spots with a brown or reddish tint can be noticed on the linen, especially if the stomach pulls. Although light and small bleeding are acceptable, it’s worth talking to your doctor if it’s more than just occasional spotting between periods or if the spotting is bothering you.
Increased sex drive
During ovulation, there is often an increased libido. A woman’s body subconsciously influences her behavior and the arousal processes to increase the chances of conception.
If a woman regularly checks her cervix by visiting a planner, the doctor notes external changes in the cervical area. During this period, the cervical region rises, softens and opens slightly to facilitate the penetration of seminal fluid into the uterus.
Some women buy an ovulation kit from the pharmacy to predict the days when they might be most fertile. The simplest strategy is to have sex every other day from about the 10th to the 18th day of the menstrual cycle, from the end of the second to the beginning of the third week.
Symptoms of 2nd week of pregnancy
In some women, the first symptoms of pregnancy may appear within a few days after conception, at the earliest possible time. These may be purely physical symptoms or a feeling that something has changed in the body. Most expectant mothers in the early stages may not feel any changes in their bodies until they see a positive pregnancy test result.
If conception occurred in the 2nd week of pregnancy, here are the symptoms that may soon appear:
- Stains on linen: Small spotting may be noticed approximately 5-10 days after conception. This is because the embryo is implanted in the lining of the uterus.
- Frequent urination: Pregnancy hormones may prompt a woman to go to the toilet more often during the first weeks of pregnancy.
- Sore breasts and darker areolas: Almost immediately after the appearance of these hormones, the woman’s body begins to prepare the breast for feeding the baby.
- Fatigue: This is the first clue for some women expecting a baby. This is because the body will use a lot of energy to develop the fetus.
- Morning sickness: Probably the most well-known symptom of pregnancy, nausea usually begins to plague mothers around the 4th to 9th week.
- Bloating: When the body understands that fetal development has begun, it will likely slow down digestion to deliver more nutrients to the baby. This fact can lead to gas and bloating.
Do’s and Don’ts of 2nd week of pregnancy
Many women in the second week are unaware of their new position. However, ignorance is no excuse. This period has its own limitations and peculiarities of behavior.
Do’s of 2nd week of pregnancy
- Maintain motor activity – this improves blood flow in the pelvic cavity.
- Take folic acid – if the rest of the vitamins have not yet been prescribed by a doctor, then Vitamin B9 is necessary for the child from the first seconds of development.
- Lift no more than 1-2 kg – limiting power loads prevents an increase in uterine tone.
- Observe emotional peace – it is necessary to protect yourself from stressful situations and experiences.
- Entertainment – you should live in a regular rhythm if there are no complaints about your health.
Don’ts of 2nd week of pregnancy
- Get rid of bad habits – for the entire pregnancy period and the feeding period, you will have to give up alcohol and tobacco.
- Take medicines – it is especially dangerous to use medicines without a doctor’s prescription at the beginning of gestation.
- Adherence to malnutrition – at week 2, the foundation for the main organs of the child is formed, so it is important to eat healthy and varied food.
- Do not Engage in heavy sports – this will increase uterine tone and can cause detachment of the fetal egg.
- Avoid a steam bath and go to the sauna – excessive heating of the body can provoke uterine bleeding and miscarriage.
Proper nutrition for 2nd week of pregnancy
The female body takes most of the nutrients – vitamins and minerals – from food. Since the micronutrient supplementation has not yet been scheduled, it is very important to maintain a healthy diet. Simple rules help to fill the deficiency of missing substances and control weight gain.
Recommended for 2 week pregnancy:
- Eat a lot of protein – it helps to build muscle mass and prevents the set of extra pounds;
- Include complex carbohydrates in your daily diet – they are a source of energy and make you feel good and cheerful;
- Daily use the norm of healthy fats – they favorably affect the functioning of internal organs and improve the appearance;
- Drink plenty of water – it speeds up metabolic processes and prevents diseases of the excretory system;
- Eat fiber – You can avoid problems with the intestines and improve your mood;
- Lean on seasonal fruits and vegetables – they contain the lion’s share of vitamins and minerals that are necessary for the formation of the organs of the unborn child;
- Include fermented milk products in the diet – they normalize the intestinal microflora, increase immunity and are a source of calcium in the formation of the skeletal system;
- Eat dried fruits and nuts – they favorably affect the work of the digestive tract and are a source of a large number of vitamins;
- Give up sweets, coffee, carbonated drinks, preservatives, and semi-finished products – they increase blood pressure and impair bowel function.
Checklist for the 2nd week of pregnancy
- Take a pregnancy test. At 2 weeks after conception, he will already show a positive result.
- Take a blood test for hCG with an interval of 1-2 days. This will help make sure that the pregnancy is developing.
- Revise your own menu. Remove unhealthy foods from the diet and introduce healthy foods.
- Reconsider physical activity and attitudes towards sports. Heavy training should be abandoned, but light physical activity will only benefit.
- Change your lifestyle for the better. Give up nightly parties and bad habits, set a regime, and clearly follow it.
- Visit a doctor to learn about the deadlines for registering for pregnancy management and get a list of necessary tests.
Can a test strip show a negative result during pregnancy?
It is possible to detect hCG levels in the urine at two weeks of pregnancy, but the sensitivity of the test used by the pharmacy can vary. The accuracy of the results also depends on how closely the instructions have been followed. Many women are so eager to get the results that they do not even read the instructions, leading to incorrect outcomes.
What will a photo of the abdomen show at 2nd week of pregnancy?
When talking about the ultrasound image of a future baby, it is important to note that even though the fetus is only a small point, it is impossible to determine its sex or any possible illnesses. These are the very first images of your little one. The mother’s belly remains the same, meaning that the uterus has not yet started to expand and the stomach has not grown yet.
What can severe acute pain in the lower abdomen mean during pregnancy?
Severe pain is often a cause for alarm. Suppose you experience a sharp pain in the lower abdomen during the second week of pregnancy, accompanied by bloody scarlet or reddish-brown discharge. In that case, it may indicate that a miscarriage has occurred.
Can I have sex at 2nd week of pregnancy?
It is generally safe to have sex during the second week of pregnancy. Hormones may reduce sexual desire but it will not disappear. It can be uncomfortable due to body changes, but these should improve soon. Sex will not harm the baby as it is protected in the womb. However, it is best to choose relaxed sex that does not require much physical effort.